Bowdoin College, Director of Networking and Infrastructure
Aug. 2003 - Present
- Principal network architect for a prestigious liberal arts college.
- Lead a team in engineering and operations of network, telecom, cloud, and datacenter infrastructure.
Prexar, Lead Network Engineer
June 2001 - Aug. 2003
- Managed and expanded ATM network, colocation datacenter, and DSL services for a large regional ISP.
Adelphia Business Solutions, Director of Network Engineering
Oct. 1999 - June 2001
- Designed and implemented a scalable and robust infrastructure for a national commercial webhosting product.
- Led project development for flexible ASP systems in a shared environment.
The Maine InternetWorks (MINT), Network Engineer
May 1993 - Oct. 1999
- Responsible for design and implementation of network, servers, and telco facilities for a 20,000+ user ISP.
- Designed and deployed municipal and residential cable modem networks for multiple cable companies.
Hybrid Cloud Connectivity
- Design, implement, and support flexible and reliable networking between on-prem, AWS, and Azure.
- Used supporting technologies such as Internet2 CloudConnect, Direct Connect, Transit Gateway, ExpressRoute, Virtual WAN
- Managed multiple $10M+ projects from inception to completion, including design, vendor/product selection, internal justification and budgeting, migration and deployment logistics, training, and operational support.
- Performed extensive “real world” evaluation and comparison of next-generation wireless from multiple vendors.
- Deployed campus wireless network in numerous RF-challenging environments.
- Migrated a 3000-extension campus phone system from a legacy PBX to Cisco VoIP solution, including integration of features such as unified messaging, E911 service, two-way radio interoperability, call recording, SIP trunking, and presence.
Kuwait Stock Exchange Online Trading System
- Technical lead for project to make live trading information available to exchange members. Innovated elegant solutions for site-redundancy, database synchronization, transparent failover, and interfaces to proprietary exchange protocols.
Network Performance and Analysis Tools
- Built infrastructure to collect and analyze metrics for ISP and customer network elements, featuring Netflow visualization, per-AS tracking for justification of potential peering/transit arrangements, and real-time tracking of DoS attacks and security incidents.
Mentoring and Teaching
- Founded an internship program at Bowdoin College to mentor individuals beginning a networking career.
- Taught group classes for IT staff to obtain CCNA certification.
- Former Adjunct Professor at Kennebec Valley Technical College for “Intro to Unix” class.
University of Maine, B.S. Electrical Engineering
Senior Project: "Hardware data encryption system, Full DES implementation on a 68HC11-based platform."
Skills and Technologies
- Networking: Cisco (IOS, NXOS, IOS-XR, UCS), Juniper (EX, SRX, MX), F5 (LTM, GTM, ASM), Aruba (Wireless, ClearPass)
- Infrastructure management: Terraform, Puppet, SaltStack, Ansible
- Programming Languages: Python, Perl, Bash, Ruby
- Cloud providers: AWS and Azure